On 5 March 2010 13:51, Andrew Benton <b3n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/10 13:11, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>> Nothing would make me happier than a nice bit of openbox, or for a
>> more bloated but nifty DE, LXDE.
>> *drools*
>>
>> ~SpaceGhost
>>

> Me too. I recommend openbox, lxpanel and rox-filer
>
> Andy
> --
 I'm obviously in the wrong place here - for people who don't use
most of gnome or kde, surely xorg is just a place to run applications
and xterms ?

 In my own case, the current build is partially completed and I now
have icewm and namoroka (ff-3.6).  Actually, xterm is a lie - I symlink
it to urxvt but the functionality is similar.  An guess what - apart from
the panel, I have no icons.

 When the build is complete (if it all works!) I'll have a load of av
stuff, the gimp, and a few gnome apps (abiword, epiphany, evince,
gnumeric, totem).  I really don't understand the fascination with
file managers (I use 'find' and 'ls', perhaps 'which' and 'locate').

 Another example - once I've edited my photos, I don't need no
applications to look at them: they are in directories and I can open
the jpegs individually in a browser, or from an xterm I can use
'display' (ImageMagick) to show a batch of them.

 NB - I _do_ build fluxbox, but only to use it as an initial window
manager (icewm needs gtk+).  For me, it's just about usable, but
so much less fulfilling than icewm.

 Maybe I should just crawl back under a rock :)

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"