x2...@lycos.com wrote:
>      Hi,
>
>      This is the work around i'm using.
>
>      I don't know if it will help on x86_64.
>
>      Assuming your compilation stopped at the line 'linking'
>      object files to produce 'nscd':
>
>           Paste up the 'linking' line that failed but
>           include -lssp as an option.  I'll add the line
>           i used at end of this letter. Its editor
>           friendly, you'll probably need to adjust the
>           directory paths to coincide with your build
>           directory.  I put it in a file and executed
>           it as a script in the glibc-build/nscd directory.
>
>           For me, this executed correctly and left 'nscd'
>           executable in glibc-build/nscd.
>
>           Move up to glibc-build and re-started 'make'
>           which finished compilation with no errors.
>
>           Ran "make -k check 2>&1 | tee glibc-check-log"
>           which produced only the 'posix/annexc' error.
>
>           Dropped out of chroot and re-booted. While
>           /mnt/lfs was still just a normal partition i
>           backed it up.
>
>           Performed mountings and re-entered chroot and
>           installed the glibc-2.11.1 from Bk.6.6_Ch.6.9.
>

>      After completing all the steps in Ch.6.9 i continued on.
>
>      I followed the book pretty much to the letter.
>
>      Once i completed Ch.6.16 with the install of Gcc-4.4.3
>      i returned to Ch.6.9 to re-compile Glibc-2.11.1.
>
>      This time Glibc-2.11.1 compiled to completion with no
>      errors and check'ing resulted in only the 'posix/annexc'
>      error.
>
>      After again backing up /mnt/lfs i returned to chroot
>      and installed this latest compilation of Glibc-2.11.1.
>
>      At this point i resumed compiling at Bk.6.6_Ch.6.17, Sed,
>      and have so far completed through Ch.6.59, Vim, without
>      errors.

This indicates to me that you made an error in Chapter 5.  The error was
probably in either gcc or glibc.

When we prepare for a LFS release, we have automated scripts that
extract the instructions from the book and build the entire system.
Your work around is not necessary if all the instructions are followed
properly.

Your comment is that you "pretty much" followed the book.  Either you
made purposeful changes or missed an instruction.   If you made *any*
intentional deviations, please elaborate them.

In either case, I wouldn't trust your system.  I recommend starting
over.  Of course, it's your distro, so you make the rules for your system.

   -- Bruce