On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 02:21:34PM -0800, Brian Winfrey wrote:

> I was thinking I didn't need it until the system is live, and it may
> or may not complicate things, and I have had to restart several times
> already.
>
> For example I believe it changes su, so if I need to uninstall it for
> some reason, I will need to restore files it has changed.
>
> I guess the question to ask what is the downside of deferring it?

 If you are following the book, it *installs* su.  I presume that
you have some modification to the book to suite the hint.  If
everything in your system is only linked against libraries in /lib
and /usr/lib, then the obvious downside is your password storage.
OTOH, if your modification means you rely on libraries in /tools/lib
then your system will be incomplete (broken, at least if you don't
extend $PATH) when you boot it.

 Ultimately, it's your system, so you might need to do some
evaluation to find out what the downside is to *not* following the
book.  I remember that, from time to time, people suggest we don't
actually *need* the autotools - it all depends on what you are going
to do with the new LFS system.  In my case, I've been playing with
newer desktop versions and definitely needed them to overcome
problems.  In a very-limited case you *might* manage to defer
installing shadow, but why take the risk ?

 The more general answer is "FBBG".

ĸen