Andrew Benton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've wrote to LFS support before about fork bombs. Last July I learned
> how to prevent them by limiting the number of processes a user can have
> with /etc/limits. Recently I've been working on installing linux-PAM
> (for ssh, it gives me more options to use PAM. I want to open ssh to
> the internet so I'm hardening things up a bit).
>
> As part of my testing I tried a fork bomb and was horrified to discover
> that nothing I did with PAM could prevent the fork bomb from locking up
> the system. Then I tried it on a system that didn't have PAM (it still
> had just shadow) and the result was the same, the fork bomb made the
> system unresponsive. I can't remember what version of shadow I was
> using last July but I can't make shadow-4.1.4.3 limit the number of
> processes and protect against a fork bomb.
>
> I've just rebuilt a system with shadow-4.0.18.1 and when I run a fork
> bomb the shell fills up with "Resource temporarily unavailable" (ie,
> shadow-4.0.18.1 has done it's job and limited the number of processes),
> the system stays responsive, I can log out and shut down cleanly.
> Basically, shadow-4.0.18.1 works. The current version (shadow-4.1.4.3)
> is broken. With or without PAM it cannot limit the number of processes.
> It seems to me that any system with shadow-4.1.4.3 is vulnerable to a
> fork bomb. We should go back to 4.0.18.1, which works.

bash has a built in ulimit command, PAM has a pam_limits module, and
shadow uses /etc/limits.  I don't think any of these actually control
the limits, but sets a value for the kernel to do it.  I suspect you
have a kernel issue, not a pam or shadow issue.

Checking some more, shadow is doing setrlimit() system calls.  See the
man page.

   -- Bruce