@Jason: that's my approach as well, just roll with the blows...
(and go play GTA when I take a break - now _that's_ a lol!)

I've reached install of glibc again, this time the grep error-check is:

root:/sources/glibc-build# grep Error glibc-check-log
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/posix/bug-regex32.out] Error 1
make[2]: [/sources/glibc-build/posix/annexc.out] Error 1 (ignored)
make[1]: *** [posix/tests] Error 2
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/misc/tst-writev.out] Error 1
make[1]: *** [misc/tests] Error 2
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/elf/check-textrel.out] Error 1
make[1]: *** [elf/tests] Error 2
make: *** [check] Error 2
root:/sources/glibc-build#

which is much better! - doing tick-by-tick works

PS: make & running the tests took all of 8 minutes on my box
(asus p8z68-v pro/gen3; i7-2600; 16 GB ram) oh, and I set
MAKEFLAGS=-j 8 to take advantage of the 4 threads - will be
interesting to see what it does with gcc and the kernel