Mario Meier wrote:
> !! I am not english native speaker. I am from Austria and maybe I
> will post sentences that are grammatically wrong. Please ask me if
> you do not understand me.

Sometimes non-native speakers know more about our language than
native-speakers.  :)

> I have a big problem. I already tried to build LFS multiple times. My
> current try is from a VirtualBox VM with a Win7 host and an openSUSE
> guest system.
>
> I put the source tarballs to a directory on the host system
> (accessable as shared folder at /mnt/host), but I use the LINUX tar
> to extract the archives. I know that using Windows applications may
> cause errors.
>
> I have extracted GCC to /mnt/lfs/sources (I will call it /sources in
> the rest of the mail) and have set the $src variable to /mnt/host.
>
> I always used this command to extract an archive:
>
> tar -xvaf <package>*.tar*
>
> That should allow me to leave out the version number and the
> compression file extension. The -a flag means that TAR automatically
> detects the compression method.

> In the german support channel, they told me to leave out -a. I did so
> and also left out the stars and wrote the full path.

The -a is not necessary.  I don't really care to watch the output of tar
any more, so I just use 'tar -xf $DIR/$PROGRAM.tar.?z*' in my scripts.
That gets .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, and .tar.xz.  It misses the occasional .tgz.

> I had tested if that worked. It now says, "libmprf not found or uses
> different ABI"
>
> Could you help me please?

I'm not sure what your question is.  You have openSUSE and it doesn't
extract the tarfiles?  What version of tar do you have?  'tar --version'.

   -- Bruce