>Hello All -- just starting with LFS and learning a lot so far.

HELLO! Welcome!

>I have a couple of questions as I start the builds in Ch. 5.
>
>1. many commands have file arguments with relative
>paths, eg. the very first two commands in Sec. 5.5.1:
>
>tar -jxf ../mpfr-3.1.0.tar.bz2
>mv -v mpfr-3.1.0 mpfr
>
>There's a Note in Sec. 5.3 that says I should be in the
>'sources' directory but then the above commands
>wouldn't be right. So where should I be when I execute
>these commands?

Generally the Sources folder has the archives and patches, so being "IN"
the source directory means the
folder the source archive created when it was extracted. This is why the
relative (to parent) reference should work.

>2. The issue in the previous item isn't insurmountable
>in most cases, but it gets critical for the first 'patch'
>command of Sec. 5.5.1, to wit:
>
>patch -Np1 -i ../gcc-4.6.1-cross_compile-1.patch
>
>Being a newb to the 'patch' utility, I have to guess
>that the patchfile must be positioned properly relative
>to the corresponding source files -- but in this case I
>can't figure out which source directory they're in.
>It could be one of {mpfr, gmp, mpc} or the parent
>of these. Again, where should I be when running
>this patch command?
>
>[There are two files being patched, but they
>are not unique to any one of these three
>directories -- 'configure' appears in all three,
>and 'configure.ac' appears in two out of three.]

I think this issue will go away when you see what I mean or someone else
words it better - I suspect any minute you're going to go "OH - I GOT IT
NOW - THANX" :)

--Jason