On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 10:01 -0800, Kyle Brennan wrote:
> Aha, thanks for clearing that up.  I assumed that those messages were
> bad because in my experience with Java, any messages of that sort
> meant there is some sort of a compile time error.  I guess that shows
> how much of a Newbie I am.

Compared to Java, C/C++ compilers tend to be very verbose when it comes
to warnings - the default is to tell you about everything, instead of
just printing out a short summary as Java does.

Plus, I don't think the messages you're seeing are actually compiler
warnings. They look like they're coming from the code itself, some sort
of preprocessor trick for warning of code that's valid C, but not doing
things in the correct way for Linux specifically. Java doesn't really
have an equivalent, but some of the code-quality tools like Checkstyle
achieve the same thing...

Simon.