On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 03:38:57PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  We've traditionally separated the various parts of gnome (and
> anyway, many dependencies are not in the gnome sections of the
> book).
>
>  If you have a build order which is guaranteed to work, both for
> people who build everything with all possible dependencies, and for
> those who build much less, feel free to share it.
>
> ĸen

 Perhaps I was a little too terse in that reply.  Although we may
have put packages in 'build order' in the distant past (when we had
far fewer packages in the book), we've long-ago moved away from
that.  Among other reasons is that package dependencies change
across versions - if the packages are in alphabetic order in the
chapters or sections (yes, I know some are still random), it makes
the book more manageable.  OTOH, where there is a single recognised
build order (e.g. kde, last time I hurt myself by trying to build it
:) then I think we use that.

 If we don't move everything whenever dependencies change, it makes
keeping the wiki pages in order a bit more feasible.  Unfortunately,
I have to persuade my fellow editors that wiki pages are worth
creating for new packages ;)

 My own build order (using .xinitrc, not gdm and hence not PAM) for
"enough of gnome to build the rest" on my non-accelerated-video
machines is still somewhere at linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/

ĸen