On 3/30/2012 8:15 AM, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:12:08 +0100
> Eleanore Boyd<cara...@cox.net>  wrote:
>
>> On 3/29/2012 11:03 AM, mike wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I am blind and build my lfs's usually using grml and an ssh session but was
>>> wondering if their is a way to get the lfs live cd to start with speakup for
>>> building?
>>>
>> I am working on getting accessibility support back into the livecd in
>> general, and am trying to replace the GNOME window manager with fluxbox,
>> so it might be a while before it can without breaking. To be honest, I
>> didn't expect my announcement to generate this much interest, especially
>> seeing as I'm just a high school student working during a computer class
>> and after school on such things as LFS. Plus, I originally meant the
>> announcement as wanting to know if anyone wanted to see what I did and
>> take a few ideas from it, maybe improve on it.
>>
>> Has anyone else thought of remastering the Ubuntu livecd for building
>> purposes? It would be slightly horrific if I was the only one, as I
>> don't think I can develop and maintain this sort of thing by myself,
>> there's a little too much that needs to be done yet......
> You're a hero for even contemplating such a thing. If you build it
> people will use it. It will be a lot of work and as you've already
> found out, people will ask you to support things that you've never even
> thought. On the plus side, you get to be the big cheese in your own
> project.
> If you start from another distro like Ubunut you'll have to do a lot of
> work getting to know how they work. An alternative is to resurrect the
> moribund LFS LiveCD. I think doing that would have a very steep initial
> learning curve but once you got an initial version working you'd be
> working from an LFS base so you wouldn't need to learn about another
> distro.
> Personally, I'd just run away if I were you ;)
>
> Andy
And that is why Google, Bing, Ask, etc. are the geek's best friends.

Fun trivia: Ubiquity (the Ubuntu installer) is gui-only. Therefore, when
making a livecd based off of the server installation, there is no using
any tool that relies on casper and ubiquity without losing the
console-only interface. Whee..........

Elly