Kshitij Jain wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Andrew Benton <a...@benton.eu.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:54:08 +0100
>> Kshitij Jain <kjain181...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> After Configuring the Grub........and restarting the system my system
>> grub
>>> menu shows and kernel boots. After few seconds it stops loading on
>>> following snapshot shows the booting
>> >From the image the kernel has clearly not found the root partition.
>> What was the kernel command line from grub.cfg? What does the partition
>> table look like? Which partition were you trying to use as your root?
>>
>> The image appears to be a screenshot which suggests that this was done
>> in a virtual machine. I've never used a virtual machine so I can't help
>> if that's the source of the problem.

> My Partition Table
>
> [root@localhost ~]# parted /dev/sda print
> Model: VMware, VMware Virtual S (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 32.2GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: gpt-----------------not MBR
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
>  1      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB                        bios_grub
>  2      2097kB  526MB   524MB   ext4            ext4  boot
>  3      526MB   16.5GB  16.0GB  ext4
>  4      16.5GB  30.1GB  13.6GB  ext3
>  5      30.1GB  32.2GB  2097MB  linux-swap(v1)
>
> Lfs system is installed in /dev/sda4---------ext3

> set root=(hd0,4)
> menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.1-AAKAR-1.0" {
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.1-AAKAR-1.0 root=/dev/sda4 ro
> }

It appears that GRUB is doing it's job, but the kernel does not have the
appropriate HW drivers for VMware's emulation.  If you have another
VMware system that works, boot to that and run both lspci and lsmod to
see what that system is being loaded.  Then rebuild your kernel ensuring
the proper drivers are built into the kernel.

   -- Bruce