On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 03:30:01PM -0400, Lázaro Morales wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After complete the LFS book, when I restart the computer I get a few
> errors messages and the computer stuck after this:
>
>      /lib/lsb/init-functions: line 590: /run/var/bootlog: No such file or
> directory
>      /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc: line 217: /var/log/boot.log: Read-only file system
>      /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc: line 220: /var/log/boot.log: Read-only file system
>      [  301.811991] rc used greatest stack depth: 5556 byte left
>      INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
>      INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
>      INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
>      INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
>      INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
>      INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
>      INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
>
> The LFS version is 7.1 and is running on VirtualBox with PAE/NX and VT-x,
> the processor is a dual-core E5300 and the virtual machine have 512MiB of
> RAM. Could be this a problem? LFS can be compiled on VirtualBox?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Lázaro

 When a boot fails, it's often best to concentrate on the first
error. From what you have shown, /run/var/bootlog: No such file or
directory. Do you have a tmpfs on /run in your /etc/fstab, and does
the /run directory exist ?

 However, the more important message might have been before that!

 Whenever a boot is failing in userspace, (i.e. no  apparent kernel
failures), the best way to find the error(s) is to boot with
"init=/bin/bash" on the grub command line.  That should give you a
read-only system for the root user.  If you can get in to that, try
running the scripts from /etc/rcS.d/ in order.  If you get those,
run the scripts from rc3,d/, again in order.

 When you encounter an error, make a note of it - sometimes you can
fix it there, other times you will need to go back to chroot to fix
it.  I assume that because you are using a virtual machine you will
also have other sessions available in which to read the book and
google for the problem(s) you encounter - that sounds a lot nicer
than bringing up a problematic boot on real hardware!

 But either way, a pen and a stack of paper to note the errors will
probably come in useful.

 If /bin/bash doesn't run because it is linked to libraries in
/tools, best to work out what went wrong (section 6.10, adjusting
the toolchain) and then make a fresh start ('start over' in
American).  Most other erors are fixable.

 If the earlier errors turn out to be a problem with the kernel
config, and it is releated to VirtualBox, you might find answers by
googling this list's archives - I know people have successfully
built LFS on it, and I know other people have misconfigured their
kernels.

 Good luck!

ĸen