On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 04:28:51PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> The search command is only used by an initrd.  For a standard LFS build,
> you can't use uuid or the search command.

 Interesting.  When I did a binary install on a new machine (copy
over the system from a previous machine, with a more generic kernel
and with modules for all likely network adaptors), one of the
problems was the uuid in the existing grub.cfg (which I had adapted
to point to the right place for the /boot partition).  I also note
that grub provides both the search and uuid parameters when you
install it to the bootloader.

 But all bootloaders are nasty (in their own evil and different
ways!) - and grub isn't really the problem here.

ĸen