alex lupu schrieb:

> As you can imagine, that leaves the PIPESTATUS array of the house in terrible
> shape, at least Error 141, if not higher.
to grin or not to grin is here the question...

> I feel that THERE MUST BE a clean way to do it in bash where the main stream
> can run to its natural completion unaffected by what goes on beyond (to the
> right of) the TEE (the 'tee' command).

no way at all.

the first process sends all output to the pipe.

the second process accepts input from the first thru the pipe.

if the second process dies or finishes, the pipe will be closed. the
first process can't deliver the output any longer, thus most programs
will abort with an 141 code. some others will just hang around forever
waiting for someone to listen.

as mentionned in my first reply, you have to use temporary files - and
take care not to run out of disk-space, or you'll have not the same but
a comparable problem again...

mit freundlichen grĂ¼ssen
tobias gasser