On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 05:37:03 PM Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:

[putolin]

> For the user, it doesn't make any difference.  For the developers, they
> don't have to worry about some things being in the / directories and
> others in the /usr directories.  It really doesn't make any sense to
> keep things split in the age of large disks.  On my system the three /
> directories add up to only 34M.

I am working on a pakckage managed LFS using pacman so when I finish it I will
be able to try moving/symlinking as well.

> > Also systemd seems to be the way they are also going
> > Is LFS following this also or will it remain sysinitv ?
> > What are the advanages/disadvanages?
>
> sytemd is a solution looking for a problem.  In the world of the large
> distros, about 1% of the users need it, so of course they force it on
> everyone so they only need to maintain one system.  It is quite opaque
> and requires (I think) an initrd.  It would add about 6 libraries to the
> basic LFS system.  It is harder to understand or troubleshoot and slower
> to boot than an LFS system.

There was/'or still' is a discussion on Arch linux mail list about systemd for
quite some time and the consenus there is the opposite of what you have said.
I do agree with you on your assessment and I believe it is a sound assessment.

There is a video from lennart the systemd developer on youtube.  I have
watched the video and he was asked whether or not he would support other OSes
such as *BSD unixes etc.  His response was he didn't care for anything but
linux and basically pissed on all the others.  I was not impressed with the
"advancements" brought by systemd per the video.  I am temporary using a
fedora 17 system that has full systemd and I find hard to deal with.
For example I needed to start sshd, but /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start was
nowhere to be found. That would have been too easy!
It was replaced with some kind of systemctl enable sshd voodoo non sense (I
don't recall  the full black art to start it) then it was enabled full time.
Which I did not want.  A reboot and it was still there so I needed to invoke
the voodoo once more to killl it.

BTW this "issue" with udev in my opinion is to insure systemd control over all
linux distros.

> systemd offers a lot of problems and little benefit for LFS users, so it
> will probably be a long time, if ever, that we will support it.
>
>    -- Bruce

When I finish my "project" I would like to dive into the init scripts and see
if I can make them LSB compliant.
If I have a vote as of right now I like sysinitv and I believe I will stick
with it.