Elly wrote:

> Then my first suggestion would be to ask the sysadmin about testing the
> latest version of the software you're using,
> or test it yourself. If it works as good or better, then see about convincing
> them to upgrade everything to its latest
> version. You could also make the case that many of the updates are security
> updates, and they could be incredibly
> vulnerable the longer they wait to upgrade.

Thanks, but I've been down that path. No luck. The folks at Cadence Design
specifically will not support their latest software on older Redhat systems,
and will not support their older software on newer Redhat systems. I wish I had
more input to the System people at my company who control all this, but I have
to live with what they provide. :(

I like the idea of security vulnerabilities and will run it by my sysadmin.

> Otherwise, if you have a computer at home, you could still use a VM to
> install Fedora (the freely available version
> of Redhat) and run Octave, or even to build LFS from a live cd and have a
> custom system without any changes to
> your natively installed system. (Or if you have Linux on the home computer
> anyway, you could just install Octave
> there, unless it has to be at work. And if you have no other computer, I
> don't know how else to help, sorry.)

That's a good suggestion, which I've already done with Ubuntu, but the problem
is that I need this to run here at work. I need to take output from Cadence
software and run it through Octave, which I can't do at home.

Anyway, I really appreciate your suggestions.

Alan