On 9/3/2012 11:23 AM, Richard Melville wrote:

>> I'd still be interested to know why we build GMP, MPC, and MPFR inside GCC
>> except on the final build where they are built separately.
>>
>> Richard

As I understand it, with the first two times the toolchain is being
built, and GMP, MPC, and MPFR aren't actually needed as part of said
toolchain. With the last build, you're building the final system, and so
they need to be installed in the system before building the new system's
compiler.

Of course, I expect to be corrected by an editor who's been building it
several thousand times a year. :)

Elly