On 09/24/2012 12:51 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
>> I am trying to understand how to set this file for LFS-7.2
>>
>> What is the default for the following variables?
>> That is if you don't use this file and it is not present.
>>
>> KEYMAP
>> FONT
>>
>>    From my research I think it is the following is the same as not having
>> the file:
>>
>> cat > /etc/sysconfig/console << "EOF"
>> # Begin /etc/sysconfig/console
>>
>> KEYMAP="en"
>> FONT="lat1-16 -m 8859-1"
>>
>> # End of /etc/sysconfig/console
>> EOF
> If the file doesn't exist, then the environment variables are not set.
> In that cases, it depends on the default behavior of the application
> such as agetty or xterm.  You would need to look at the code for those
> to determine the defaults.
>
> Note that translating a key code (say 1 for esc, etc) to a character and
> then translating that character to a glyph (a rectangular array or dots)
> is really a non-trivial task.
>
>     -- Bruce

I have found that this will not cause an error

KEYMAP="us"
FONT="lat1-16 -m 8859-1"

and the system will boot without displaying an error.
I don't know if that is the same if you don't have a console files or not.

Now I am trying to set this system up for UTF-8
is the console setting the same or would it need to be changed if i set
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ?

I am trying to understand all these settings and there affect on the
system in question.