Am 13.11.2012 18:08, schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
> Tobias Gasser wrote:
>> Am 13.11.2012 03:20, schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
>>
>> what i missed in my original message:
>> /sda1 is ext2
>> /sda2 and /sda3 are ext3 (first attempt was with ext4, but as grub
>> didn't work i made backups, reformatted with ext3 and restored).
>
> insmod ext2 is supposed to be able to handle ext2/3/4.

i have "insmod ext2" in my grub conf:

** cut
set root='(hd0,1)'
set timeout=10
insmod ext2
menuentry "linux 32bit" {
    linux /boot/kernel-3.4.18-t32 root=/dev/sda2
}
menuentry "linux 64bit" {
    linux /boot/kernel-3.4.18-t64 root=/dev/sda3
}
** cut

but as grub does not see the disk at all, neither grub.cfg is processed
nor the ext2-module is loaded.

> What symlink?  I don't know if grub understands symlinks, especially
> from one filesystem to another.
works fine. ubuntus grub has no problems. the 'old' grub 199 had no
problems with it too. and it's not to another filesystem, it's simply to
have /boot/grub available on the boot-partition:
from within /mnt/boot after "mount /dev/sda3 /mnt" and "mount /dev/sda1
/mnt/boot") i do "ln -sf . boot"

> I agree that there is a problem between the BIOS and GRUB.  When you
> install the ubuntu system, what are the contents of grub.cfg.  Also what
> is the output of 'mount'.

once again: i did NOT install ubuntu. i just use the ubuntu life-cd to
boot into the live environment. i don't install. i just open a terminal,
mount my /dev/sda3 to /mnt and /dev/sda1 to /mnt/boot and do
'install-grub --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda'
thus i have nothing of ubuntu except the boot-loader. not even the
grub-xx tools are from ubuntu, they remain my own compiled binaries. NOW
the system can boot, but as soon as i reinstall grub with 'install-grub
/dev/sda' after booting, my compiled LFS-version of grub fails to see
any disk.

tobias