Ken Moffat wrote:

>   I've no idea about virtual machines, maybe someone else can offer
> suggestions about specific changes (if any) needed - but I don't
> recall seeing problems from them apart from selecting the right
> kernel options.

Ken,
   I've built LFS several times in different virtual environments.  For
instance, BLFS shows how to build qemu-kvm.  When I was developing that,
I loaded a Fedora iso and built LFS from there.  There were no
differences that I recall except that the kernel drivers have to be
specified for the virtual hardware.  The host, of course, was LFS.

If the appropriate virtual file systems are mounted (/sys, /dev, /proc,
etc) there are no changes needed to build LFS.  From a theoretical
standpoint where would the changes be?  The only code that accesses hw
is in the kernel drivers.

LFS -> qemu-kvm -> Fedora -> /mnt/lfs -> new lfs

Substitute the first host, virtual system, and virtual host with your
choice.  Any should work.

The same goes for

any host -> ssh linux target -> /mnt/lfs -> new lfs

   -- Bruce