On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 04:06:38PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Drive organization is really a personal preference item.

 Agreed, but I commented because I feel people often read the
minimalist suggestions in the book, and then make things harder for
themselves in the future.

> There is a big difference between build space and install space.

 Sometimes.  Perhaps I need to mention that I normally use
CFLAGS=-O2 and the same for CXXFLAGS : not everything respects that,
and most sane packages default to -O2, but it does get rid of a lot
of debug info.  That on its own might explain why I can get by with
a lot less than 10GB for '/'.

> generally build in /tmp which is on a separate partition.  I also put a
> lot of stuff in /opt and leave it there:
>
> 1.2G    /opt/qt-4.7.0
> 441M    /opt/qt-4.8.2
> 1.4G    /opt/qtbin

 Is qtbin part of the qt-4.8.2 install, or did your 4.8.2 get smaller
than qt-4.7.0 ?  My own "as little as I guessed I needed for vlc"
install of 4.8.2 uses about 1.1G.

> If you don't rotate logs, /var/log can get pretty big.

 Ah, yes, I'll take your word for that :)

> and of course:
>
> 36G     /usr/src

 I guess that *some* of that is not current.  My own sources are in
/home/sources on my server, which I then export as /sources.  At the
moment the weekly backup (tar, no compression) of /home - including
my notes and docs, as well as local copies of the books and the
build logs from the server, plus the occasional iso, all fits in 20GB.

 But then, from time to time I prune out old things that I don't
expect to ever build again - before I last did that I was backing up
26GB every week.

ĸen