On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 11:17 -0500, Chris Staub wrote:
> First, check how Bash is linked: "readelf -l /bin/bash | grep
> interpret". Of course, this should say that it's looking for the dynamic
> linker in /lib. Then verify you actually have all the right libraries
> for Ncurses: "ls -la {/usr,}/lib/*ncurses*"

Yes, it's using /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, and yes, the chapter 6
version of ncurses *is* correctly installed. But that copy of ncurses is
the wide-char version, and bash has managed, somehow, to link to the
non-wide version. My assumption, as I said, is that instead of finding
the linker scripts in /usr/lib which would point it to the wide version,
it's found the non-wide version in /tools instead.

> You could also just upload your build scripts for Ncurses, Readline, and
> Bash.

I don't think there's anything wrong with how those packages have been
built - the scripts are just copy-paste from the book, with the usual
wrapper code for extracting tarballs and cleaning up afterwards. I
suspect the problem is something to do with the linker changes done in
"Adjusting the Toolchain", but I can't see anything obvious that I've
missed there either.

Basically, I'm hoping that someone more familiar than me with the
toolchain can tell me how a chapter 6 package (bash) might be linked
against a library not installed in chapter 6 (the non-wide version of
ncurses). The obvious answer is that it's found the version built in
chapter 5, but what could cause that?

Simon.