> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 01:31:36 +0000
> From: Robin <rc.rattusrat...@gmail.com>
> To: LFS Support List <lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [lfs-support] Can't get LFS to boot,
>  fsck.ext4 no such file or directory while trying to open ....
>
> grub> linux /vmlinux-3.8.3-lfs-7.3 root=/dev/sda8
>
> /dev/hda8 is the ext4 root partition
>
> sda8 in grub>root=
> but you say root is /dev/hda8 ?
>

> On 24 March 2013 00:57, TJ Olaes <cont...@olaes.net> wrote:
>
> > Good evening.
> >
> > Hope someone can help me see something I'm missing, I've been googling all
> > day
> > trying to get LFS to boot up and have made some progress but this one is
> > stumping me.
> >
> > Currently, I have at least one problem, which is that the boot sequence
> > fails at
> > this point:
> >
> > Checking file systems...fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying
> > open /dev/hda8
> >
> > What I'm doing right now is booting from the grub command line, a la:
> >
> > grub> set
> > ... snip some variable lines ...
> > prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/grub
> > root=hd0,1
> > ... snip more stuff ...
> >
> > grub> linux /vmlinux-3.8.3-lfs-7.3 root=/dev/sda8
> > grub> boot
> >
> > My config:
> >
> > /dev/hda1 is an ext4 boot partition named "boot"
> > /dev/hda5 is an ext4 partition for "usr"
> > /dev/hda6 is ext4 for "opt"
> > /dev/hda7 is ext4 for "src"
> > /dev/hda8 is the ext4 root partition
> > /dev/hda9 is ext4 for "home"
> >
> > I'm using Grub2 v1.99.
> >
> > Thanks for any help I can get.
> >
> > -TJ
> >
> --
> rob

Yeah, the host that you're building on (what is it, and what version?) might be
calling your partitions /dev/hda.., but the lfs (what version is it you're
building?) is likely calling them /dev/sda..  . So the /etc/fstab that you're
creating for the lfs side of things, would need to use the 'dev/sda..' naming
rather than the '/dev/hda..' naming.

>From the host where you're building lfs, what does 'fdisk -l' show: does it
>show
/dev/hda.. or /dev/sda.. ?

For the grub config for the lfs side, looks like you're OK wrt device naming:
i.e.
use the form 'hd0' for the 'set root=(hd0,...)' line, and use the form
'/dev/sda..'
for the 'linux   /boot/vmlinu... /dev/sda.. ro' line that is contain within
'menuentry' sections.

'vmlinux' -vs- 'vmlinuz': as another poster has noted, be clear which one of
these you want to be referring to: from the host that you're using to build
lfs,
what does '\ls -laF ${LFS}/boot' show? If you've got a 'vmlinux...' then use
that
for grub; else use 'vmlinuz...'  .

(( Yes, the kernel page 'chapter08/kernel.html' for lfs 7.3, 7.2, ... _does_
talk about 'vmlinux...' in the section at the foot of the page; and
'vmlinuz...'
elsewhere in the page and in the grub section.
))

hth,

akh