On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:44:07PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 09:14:54PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> >
> > Try adding a namespace, e.g. KM_SCRIPTS, to your environment variables.
> >   However, I suspect a problem in some package earlier in the build.
> >
>  Thanks for that comment - I didn't understand it properly at the
> time (unsetting SCRIPTS in automake works for me), but I'm now using
> a debug (git) branch of my scripts and I've discovered that my bison
> build breakage happened between 2.7.1 and 2.7.90.  So far, I'm only
> 16000 lines through the diff (4%), but I now understand that
> everything outside the package itself needs a namespace for its
> variables.  Will probably take me the rest of the night to change
> them all

 tl;dr - sorted, by using a namespace throughout my build.

 Well, that was a _severe_ underestimate.  More like "rest of the
week".  Changed almost every variable in my scripts themselves, and
my functions.  Then changed the function names.  Didn't help.  Spent
more time looking at that bison diff, but it's too big to manage.
My guess is still on something in gnulib (or perhaps automake).
Tried using git bisect, but couldn't get any random changeset to
build - there are submodules (gnulib, automake) and I'm not sure
that they were being pulled as the matching versions.  Perhaps the
source is just like my own scripts, and often doesn't build.  Merged
my changes back to my trunk, fixed breakages - that took about a day
in itself.

 Anyway, put in an ugly workaround to untar bison and stop, and then
to test if the bison binary existed when trying to continue.  That
let me continue, but the space and time measurements for bison were
rubbish and I hated not being able to leave it running.

 While I was fixing up the merges, I realised that I'd overlooked
one set of variables - I use a 'packages' file to list package
versions and patches, so it contains things like BISON=bison3.0.
Spent some hours today changing ALL of those lines, and a few random
other variables I'd overlooked in my chroot driver script such as
ELFINT which contained the Requesting program interpreter details
for different architectures).  One of those variables (about 75 of
them if you count commented-out ppc stuff) did the trick.

 Leaving it to run, but I'll be back to testing 7.4 (if I don't go
away).  Almost week wasted.  <sigh/>

ĸen