Richard wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:37:21 -0500
> > From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [lfs-support] Boot problem
> > To: LFS Support List <lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
> >
> > Richard wrote:
> >> I have a LFS 7.2 system and a Shuttle AV49 motherboard.
> >> About one time in every 20 bootups, my computer hangs
> >> up and I have to power it down and back up. When it
> >> hangs, the last line I see on the monitor is:
> >>
> >>    Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
> >>
> >> When it boots successfully, the next line I see is:
> >>
> >>    serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> >>
> >> So it appears that the problem has something to do with
> >> the uart. I've tried searching the web and I did find
> >> some mention of a potential problem detecting the uart,
> >> but I didn't find a solution. Is anyone aware of this
> >> particular problem? I assume it is a kernel bug of some
> >> kind. I haven't been able to get any useful information
> >> from the logs, everything just seems to stop at the
> >> above point.
> >
> > I'd say it's more likely a hardware problem.
> >
> > Are you using the serial port at all?  If not, just disable all
> > configuration items in the kernel regarding serial ports.
> >
> >    -- Bruce
>
> I don't use the serial port often, but I'd like to have the option
> of using it.

Build the 8250 UART support as a module and check if the boot process still
stops. If you need the UARTs just load the driver module.

> I'm sceptical that it is a hardware problem, since this problem
> doesn't show up with my other operating systems, which include
> LFS 6.2, PCLinux OS, Windows XP and Windows 98.

Maybe broken ACPI tables where newer kernels stumble across. Build as much
features as a module and try again. Load the modules if you need their
features and see what happens.

Juergen