On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 05:36:20PM +0200, andreas graeper wrote:

> book-version is 7.0, see subject.

 And that, in linux terms, is ancient history - we've had four more
releases, a lot of things have changed.

> the testprogram is linked against /tools/lib/libgcc_s.so
>
> libgcc_s and libstdc++ are linked from /usr/lib to /tools/lib

 That sounds correct

> why libstdc++ was build ?
> when it is build, is it done with c-compiler or with the wrong (host-)
> g++-compiler ?

 At that time, we built it with the C compiler.  In 7.4, gcc-4.8.1
is used : 4.8 needs c++ which is why Bruce mentioned.

 I don't understand why you are questioning why libstdc++ was built.
The system needs a c++ compiler, and that needs libstdc++.

> what is libgcc_s ? google shows only error messages ('not found' and so on)
> .

 The most likely answer I can find is at
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/1812/what-does-libgcc-s-so-contain
i.e. it's a gcc runtime library.

> could this problem get solved by 're-adjusting the toolchain' (6.10) before
> this test (glibc make install in 6.9) ?
>
> thanks in advance
> andreas

 I guess the error message about cross-compilation means that
somewhere you are still using the cross-compiler which was built
in gcc pass 1, or else that something went seriously wrong with the
instructions in gcc pass 2.

 I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that you didn't delete
the existing source and -build directories when you came to Pass 2 ?
It is essential to use clean source, and empty -build directories
where those are used, for *every* package.

 If that guess is correct you will be better to start again.  Nobody
remembers the details of a 2-year-old set of instructions, and the
system will be out of date.  So I suggest that you use the 7.4 book.
Check the host requirements and update anything which is too old.

ĸen