On 10/14/2013 08:54 PM, William Harrington wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2013, at 8:08 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> ./configure --prefix=/tools
>> make
>> make install
> Should probably also include this:
>
> echo '#define SYS_VIMRC_FILE "/tools/etc/vimrc"' >> src/feature.h
It looks like I'd run that before I ran <./configure>. Am I correct?
> There have been many threads in the past throughout the various LFS
> versions even before 5.1.1 to add an editor in ch5, but the LFS devs
> never found it useful, although I have, and others have, too. Some of
> us do require an editor in ch6. Sed isn't that great, cat is okay with
> more as a pager before less isbuilt. But when you have text like this:
> "It is a good idea to visually inspect the specs file to verify the
> intended change was actually made."  when adjusting the toolchain,
> it's much easier in a text editor.
> Either way, users have a pager which can be used, not ideal if a need
> to edit.
> If someone wants a full set of tools to build a complete final system,
> an editor is required, even if the build commands don't use it. But,
> don't see an editor in ch5 any time soon.
> Although, if you want to learn how to use sed and gawk, go for it!
> Learn how to edit without an editor! Cause the LFS devs are hardcore!

I really got a kick out of reading this. As one who employs Package
Users, an editor is almost better than a steak dinner. I've developed my
own scripts for this system and it's a necessity. But this is personal
and not generic. An editor is really not a whistle or a bell, and, as
you point out, it's not necessary to produce a functional system. And
this points the question to the purpose of LFS, and, I think, why the
editors are "hardcore."

I've seen them reject some really meaningful things over the years
because what was requested would dilute the learning process of LFS. A
process, which, by the way, I support 100%. My knowledge of linux type
systems and my facility at the command line is all due to LFS. Yes, I
could learn sed and gawk--the key word is learn. I'd like to, but
haven't taken the time. Maybe "no editor" is a subtle way of pushing
towards learning sed and gawk. That would be part of the LFS philosophy.

I hope those hardcore editors don't see me as heretical, but I want my
editor! So I'll build it with their help. :)

Thanks for the command, William--and the enjoyment of your post.

Dan