On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 08:28:40AM +0100, Michael E. Maher wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 00:58 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 12:25:11AM +0100, Michael E. Maher wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey Ken,
> > >
> > > Does `/etc/mtab' look good?
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Michael
> > >

> >  Root has now umounted /dev/sdXY, so it is no longer mounted.  What
> > should I look for if I mount it again and then try to umount it ?
> >
> > ĸen
>
> First make sure it's a symlink to `/proc/self/mounts'

 Yes for both (the server running 7.4 where I noticed this, and the
current desktop machine where I originally saw it).

> and check that it
> contains a entry like:
>
>         /dev/sdXY /scratch ext4 rw,noquota 0 0

 I've just attempted to umount on the desktop (took me a while to
get to a point where nothing was actively using /scratch :) -

ken@ac4tv ~ $cat /etc/mtab | grep /scratch
/dev/sda14 /scratch ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
ken@ac4tv ~ $umount /scratch/
umount: /scratch: mountpoint not found

 But root was able to 'umount /scratch' after that.  The line in
/etc/fstab is:
/dev/sda14 /scratch      auto   noauto,user,rw,exec,suid,dev 0 0

 The options are because I sometimes do test chroot builds there.
Those settings were working fine until recently.

> I might be way off base, but I'm guessing maybe this is within a
> `chroot'?

 No, regular systems.

ĸen