Dan McGhee wrote:
> On 11/02/2013 02:50 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Dan McGhee wrote:
>>
>>> (Received complaints about /run/var/bootlog all through the process.
>>> They were right, it doesn't exist yet.)
>> Do you have /run/var?
> I just discovered. No I don't. Nor do I have /run/lock. I looked in the
> book Sections 6.5 and 6.6 to see where and how I missed these. I didn't
> see their creation in either section. Would you please tell me where in
> the book they get created? I've got to see if I missed anything else.

/etc/init.d/mountvirtfs

> When I create them, just to double check, make sure the permissions are
> 0755?

Only /run/shm needs the permissions changed.

>> /run is mounted form fstab
>>
>> tmpfs    /run   tmpfs  defaults     0     0
>>
>> in the very first boot boot script (mountvirtfs):
>>
>> # Make sure /run/var is available before logging any messages
>> if ! mountpoint /run >/dev/null; then
>>         mount /run || failed=1
>> fi
>>
>> mkdir -p /run/var /run/lock /run/shm
>>
>> The scripts all use >> so the only reason that you would get this error
>> is iv /run is not mounted.  Actually, even then the writing would be to
>> a standard directory so the issue would be permissions.  These scripts
>> need to be run as root.
> That's great info. Thanks. Referencing the paragraph above, the
> directories /run/{var,lock} get created the first time the system boots?
> I do have /run/shm. It got created in Section 6.2.
>
> Since I'm operating in chroot, I need to mount /run. Again, to double
> check, is the following command the one to use?
>
> <mount -v -t tmpfs tmpfs /run>

That would probably work.

> If the bootscripts are exiting, then it's no wonder that my efforts are
> failing. I consider this one of the "simple things" that I miss. My
> knowledge of the bootscripts is slowly coming back. I knew them well six
> years ago. :)

The bootscripts were completely rewritten for LFS 7.0.  That's why we
are at 7.x and not 6.x.

> Before I forget. Once I get the directory thing straightened out, should
> I, as root, touch /run/var/bootlog?

That wouldn't be needed if /ver/run has been created, but I don't
understand running the bootscripts in chroot.  Why are you trying to do
that?

   -- Bruce