On 11/14/2013 04:37 PM, Walter P. Little wrote:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com <mailto:zarniwh...@ntlworld.com>> wrote:

    On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:37:57AM +0000, Vasco Almeida wrote:

    > 1. On my Ubuntu I should install at least/bison, gawk, g++, m4/
     and/makeinfo/  (via apt-get install/packa//ge-name/, assuming
    these are indeed the names).
     Yes.

m4 is a dependency of bison and will be installed automatically when you install bison, so no need to install it separately.
There is no "makeinfo" package. It is included in the "texinfo" package.

     For gawk, you might also need to change the 'awk' symlink to point to
    gawk instead of mawk.

This happens automatically when you install the gawk package.

    > 2. Possibly, I should also install/build-essential/.
     Definitely install this, I think it might pull in some of the
    others listed above.

build-essential pulls in g++. It also pulls in the libc6-dev package, which can cause issues later if you don't have it. As such, installing g++ separately is unnecessary.

    ?en

OK, I did as instructed in your recommendations above, and tried to be as extra careful as ignorance allows. So I am attaching the four logs collected during the 5.4.1 step, for your kind inspection. But when I invoked "make install", I got a raft of

"This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments"

which are perhaps not that surprising. Finally, some displays just to check content:
/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls
Makefile  binutilsconfig.log       config.log      gas     ld serdep.tmp
bfd      binutilsmake.log       config.status  gprof  libiberty
binutils  binutilsmakeinstall.log  etc          intl     opcodes

/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls $LFS/tools
bin  lib  lib64  share    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu

/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls $LFS/tools/bin
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-addr2line    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-nm
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ar        x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-objcopy
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-as        x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-objdump
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-c++filt    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-elfedit    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-readelf
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-gprof    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-size
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ld        x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-strings
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ld.bfd    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-strip

/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls $LFS/tools/lib
libiberty.a

/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls $LFS/tools/lib64
libiberty.a

OK to go on? Thanks again. Best regards

Vasco