On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 12:21:02AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 05:59:52PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > Ken Moffat wrote:
> > >   I first noticed this on my desktop which is running LFS-svn with
> > > make-4.0, and where I've got more than enough other things still to
> > > look at.  But on my server running 7.4 I've just done:
> > >
> > > mount /scratch
> > > [ /me does something there ]
> > > umount /scratch
> > >
> > >   which returns -
> > > umount: /scratch: mountpoint not found
> > >
> > > and /scratch is still mounted.  Any ideas about what is going on,
> > > please ?
> >
> > No, but you can always 'umount /dev/sd??'
> >
> >    -- Bruce
> >
>  Well, root can, so thanks for that (all too often, I'm too close to
> the problem and can't see the wood for the trees). - /scratch is
> where I use the spare space from modern disks : it doesn't get
> backed up [ what a waste of space that would be! ] and either ken or
> lfs can use it - or indeed /root when updating the system.
>
>  One day, I suppose I'll find out what else needs to be changed so
> that users can umount it again.

 Ah, the wonders of being on the bleeding edge and looking for
guidance before anyone else has had the problem :)

 Arch also suffered this and one of their devs fixed it:
http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=137945227914961&w=2

 That commit is in util-linux-2.24, which works for me.  I'm not sure
if the problem also applied to 2.23.1 (I don't have any systems
using that), but 2.23 was OK.

ĸen, currently upgrading all my 7.4-and-newer systems.