This is the first time I have ever tried to run links in graphic mode.
As user 'dan' it doesn't happen.  When I invoke 'links -g' I get the
error message "Can't access fb0."  As user 'root' it runs fine.

This tells me it's a permissions thing, but I don't know how to be able
to do it as a non-privileged user, unless links needs to be suid for
this.  'ls -alQ /dev/fb0' yields:

crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 0 Nov 23 13:04 "/dev/fb0"

I don't know how to interpret "video 29."  There's no such group and
adding myself to the video group didn't solve the situation.

How do I access /dev/fb0 as a non-privileged user to get this to work?

Thanks,
Dan