Simon Geard wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 20:18 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I know the answer to that one.  To ensure that really big iron with many
>> ethernet devices will not have ethx assigned in random order due to race
>> conditions.  It probably comes up more frequently when using systemd
>> which launches processes during boot up in parallel.
>>
>> In other words, a solution for the 1% that need it forced on the 99% who
>> don't.
>
> But really, what's wrong with it? All the melodrama, talking about
> "abominations" and complaining about Lennart breaking things - but
> what's actually wrong with it, that makes that 1% solution a problem for
> you?

It's more complex.  It's changing something for everybody that was
working for 99% of users.

I suppose for most users that install a mainstream distro it doesn't
make any difference, but for most of us that build from source, it is an
unneeded change to the default that we have to work around.

I wouldn't have minded the change if the new behavior wasn't made the
default.

> Because it's not something I'd even notice - I've no idea what the
> network device on this machine is called, because I've never needed to
> know it, other than when I first set it up an age ago. What do you do
> differently, that the new naming convention can annoy you so much?

In LFS, the /etc/sysconfig/ifconfog.* files need to know the name of the
interface.  Usually the init-net-rules.sh script takes care of it, but
in this thread there was a difference between what Fedora comes up with
and what a current udev names the interface.  It was painful for Alan to
get things straight.

   -- Bruce