On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 10:29:41PM +0100, Frans de Boer wrote:

> Your right of course, that is the only exception. I always use a build
> directory within the source tree. I has always worked before...until I
> tried now using a build directory outside the source tree! Behold, it is
> now working. Never had this experience before, but will follow the
> direction to have a build directory OUTSIDE the source tree!!
>
> Just curious, since it had always worked before, why is it required to
> have a build dir outside the source tree? Is there a dependency of some
> sort?
>
> Regards, Frans.
 The book has "always" [1] used separate build directories for
binutils, gcc, glibc.  I imagine that you "got lucky" when a build
directory in the source tree worked.  Perhaps, in the days when LFS
was only i?86, we were unnecessarily cautious in following what
upstream recommended.  But doing it that way has always worked.

1. Since at least late 2005, when gcc-4 came out.  I think we did
that even when I first got here (for LFS-3) but I don't now have my
scripts before late 2005, and I can't connect to the lfs-museum at
the moment.

ĸen