On 16 January 2014 00:59, Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 04:51:23PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 03:50:47PM -0500, alex lupu wrote:
> > > I would like to submit for your consideration the following changes
> > > to the Section "III. 6.7. Linux-3.12.6 API Headers" of the
> > > "Linux From Scratch - Version SVN-20140102" book.
> > >
> > > 1. After the paragraph
> > >
> > > " ..: This is done by
> > >   way of sanitizing various C header files that are shipped in the
> Linux
> > >   kernel source tarball.",
> > >
> > >  I would insert:
> > >
> > > Note:
> > >   For the meaning of the action "sanitizing" (in this context), run
> command
> > >    sh scripts/headers_install.sh | sed s/echo//
> > >   and in the output read the section between "Prepares " and "
> keywords."
> > >   (output, lines 3-6).
> > >

> >  I don't find that helpful.  At all.
> >
>  Please note that I'm not intending to shut you off here - _I_ know
> what is meant by sanitizing the headers (or, I think I do), but the
> book doesn't go into any detail.  Maybe we ought to change the
> chapter 5 reference to 'sanitizing' (5.6) - that is where we first
> mention it.  At the moment we say

I have returned to LFS a number of times, I use the whole experience as a
learning resource and yes, it still is too advanced for me, but I would
appreciate the additional slightly more wordy text, because it aids my
understanding of the process of sanitizing.

> "This is done by way of sanitizing various C header files that are
> shipped in the Linux kernel source tarball."
>
>  perhaps change to "... source tarball (to make them fit for use by
> userspace applications)".

Ditto here, this increases my ability to Google something meaningful.