On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 11:17:39AM +0100, ortenzia konyha wrote:
> Dear LFS support,
> how does it work the script /etc/rc.d/init.d/console  in lfs-bootscript?
> how does the variable $KEYMAP pass the argument to loadkeys?
>
> My LFS is LFS stable 7.5
> I am working without X, only in console.
> My $LANG is ISO885915@euro
> I can see $LANG ISO885915@euro when I type set and locale

 That sounds wrong - ISO885915@euro is not a language.

 The LANG and LC_ variables are mostly in the form language
(lowercase, usually two letters), underscore, country code
(uppercase, usually two letters), dot, encoding (ISO-8859-1..15,
UTF-8, and a few others) and optionally an '@something' modifier
such as '@euro'. The exceptions include C and POSIX which glibc
knows about even without installing locales.

 My general recommendation is that people should use UTF-8, to be
able to render any character which their font supports.  But if you
have a lot of files using ISO-8859-15, or correspond with people who
also use 8859-15, then I can see reasons to use that encoding.

 I was going to say "Try LANG=es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro - you probably
need to set UNICODE=0 with that." but now that I've read the detail
of what you tried in 'vim' I don't think you need to use that legacy
encoding.

> I have tried several combinations in my /etc/sysconfig/console:
> UNICODE=1
> KEYMAP=es
> KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro2"
> FONT="lat0-16 -m 8859-15"
>
> I can see the ñ, ¡, ? and the €  in my console, I cannot see accented spanish
> character, á, é, í, ó, ú.

 I was going to offer this suggestion as an alternative, but I think
it will probably do what you need: with those settings in
/etc/sysconfig/console (particularly UNICODE=1) I suggest you try
 LANG=es_ES.UTF-8

 NB the @euro modifier doesn't apply to es_ES.UTF-8 altohugh it is
required for es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro.

 The KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS adds to the console keymap and should give
you the euro and cent symbols on AltGr-e and AltGr-c.

> the LFS-bootschript included the  /etc/rc.d/init.d/console, which installed
> the following:
> /etc/sysconfig/console?
>
> I compiled Linux-3.13.3 against the following: make LANG=ISO885915@euro
> LC_ALL= menuconfig

 Again, that is not a valid LANG specification.  But in that command
it only affects messages from menuconfig.  As far as I klnow,
menuconfig only outputs messages in English.

> I am in a Netbook Lenovo s2-10.
>
> If I understand correctly the hierchy of the information is The master
> run-level control script runs all the other bootscripts in a sequence
> gathering information first from locale (taken from glibc) and variable
> $LANG, then look in /etc/sysconfig/console and later look for loadkeys
> is that correct
> "The dead key settings depend on your locale and character set."
> (http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/7493/why-is-the-us-international-keyboard-layout-on-debian-different)
>
> then, why if I compiled against ISO885915@euro, my console is not letting me
> see spanish accented characters?
>
> My question is about understanding LFS and if possible Linux.
> I can see the spanish accented characters using loadkeys
> /usr/share/keymaps/es.map.gz
>
> and in vim
> I can use
> :set enc=utf-8
> and using CTR+K a+`(accent) = á
> and so on.

 I started by assuming you intended to use the 8859-15 encoding, but
from this I think you will be happy with UTF-8.

> but, why if I compiled against ISO885915@euro, my console is not letting me
> see spanish accented characters?

 When you build the kernel, the language setting in your environment
might allow you to get translations of the warnings and any error
messages from 'make'.  But the kernel messages are all in English,
and it relies on userspace (glibc) to handle languages.