On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 05:30:05PM +0000, Michael Bradshaw wrote:
> im still having the same problem:
>
> lfs@AOTdevcom ~ $ cat > ~/.bash_profile << "EOF"
> > exec env -i HOME=$HOME TERM=$TERM PS1='\u:\w\$ ' /bin/bash
> > EOF
> lfs@AOTdevcom ~ $ cat > ~/.bashrc << "EOF"
> > set +h
> > umask 022
> > LFS=/mnt/lfs
> > LC_ALL=POSIX
> > LFS_TGT=$(uname -m)-lfs-linux-gnu
> > PATH=/tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
> > export LFS LC_ALL LFS_TGT PATH
> > EOF
> lfs@AOTdevcom ~ $ source ~/.bash_profile
> dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> lfs@AOTdevcom ~ $

 Please note: we do NOT like people who top-post on lfs lists,
and after a while some of us will stop caring about your posts.
If you have to use brain-damaged mailers, such as on phones or
in webmail, we might make allowances - but your mailer is
hiding its identity so for the moment I will assume you are wilfully
following the mickeysoft way of doing things  ;)

 Now, you said below that you are using mint (with xfce).  Mint is
derived from 'buntu (insert old "friends don't let friends use
ubuntu" joke - I'm actually replying from an old ubuntu system on my
underpowered netbook, using ssh to connect to my home server where
the mail is, so this really *is* a joke) and therefore you *really*
need to run version-check.sh from the Host System Requirements in the
preface.  There are a number of potential issues when building from
ubuntu or any other debian-derived distro, and in this context I
guess that dash, or perhaps distro scripts to allow for multiple
shells, might be involved.

 I have only rarely used dash, which seems to be standard in ubuntu
and perhaps even in debian, but I have seen strange errors when
trying to set environment variables on the way into chroot from
systemrescuecd (when I had copied an existing LFS to a new machine
and was chrooting to set up grub) which I think uses zsh, so I
assume this is probably a shell problem.

 You might also try adding SHELL=/bin/bash to your command.

 One further thought : was that an error (the command failed) or
just a warning ?  Try 'echo $?' _immediately_ after running that
command : 1 shows there was an error, 0 is ok.

ĸen