On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 06:35:12PM -0500, Dan McGhee wrote:
> I am sorry to ask a question like this when most of you are working hard to
> release 7.6.  I'm pushing to finish 7.5 to make sure my scripts all work and
> to "play" with GRUB for UEFI.

 For that, when you get there, you might want to talk to the person
who posted on -dev this week : his posts will be in the archives.

> Udev-208 fails during "make" with
>
> >LINK build/udevd
> >/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblkid
> >collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> >udev-lfs-208-3/Makefile.lfs:232: recipe for target 'build/udevd' failed
> >make: *** [build/udevd] Error 1
>
> ls -al /usr/include | grep id gives:
>
> >lrwxrwxrwx  1 udev-208 udev-208             20 Sep 13 22:46 blkid ->
> >/toolz/include/blkid
> >lrwxrwxrwx  1 udev-208             udev-208             19 Sep 13 22:46
> >uuid -> /toolz/include/uuid
> [I removed the other two results]
>
> and ls -al /toolz/include | grep id gives:
>
> >drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Jun 16 18:56 blkid
> >drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Jun 16 18:56 uuid
> and blkid.h and uuid.h exist in their appropriate directories.

 But that is not the problem.  The compiler presumably found them,
but it is the linker (ld) which cannot find the _libraries_.

> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH gives "/toolz/lib."

 Is that full-stop a typo in your post, or a typo from your script ?
And do /toolz/lib/libblkid.so* and also /toolz/lib/libuuid.so* exist
(each should have .so, .so.1, .so.1.something variants, two of which
are symlinks) ?

> (Please don't ask about "toolz."  I screwed up in 7.4 and must use /toolz
> instead of /tools until I get another complete {,B}LFS system)
>
> As most people know, I use the Package Users System.  I've tried building as
> user=udev-208 and root.  I get the failure in both situations.  In
> situations like this, my experience tells me that the solution is something
> terribly simple.  I *think* I have checked the obvious simple stuff, but I'm
> out of ideas.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

 Scripts can be fun ;-)