On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 09:45:49PM +0200, Denis Mugnier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A french user tells us on the frecnh lfs forum that he has an issue with the
> configure script of binutils  (step 5.4).
> We don't find the solution, so I post here ;o))
>
> The configure stop with the error :
>
> |gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: Too many levels of symbolic links

> configure:4284: $? = 1
> configure:4321: result:
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h */
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
> | #define PACKAGE_URL ""
> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
> |
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:4327: error: in `/mnt/LFS/sources/binutils-build':
> configure:4331: error: C compiler cannot create executables
>
> the version-check result :|http://hastebin.com/xucuyulibe.coffee
> the binutils configure log : http://hastebin.com/inawikivog.tex

 Actually, that latter looks more like the results of 'printenv',
but seen through a mist [ I would describe the colours as off-white
and pale cyan, on a darkish green background - perhaps a text
browser fares better (/me tries links : no, just a blank page apart
from 'hastebin' at top right when links is invoked from either urxvt
or the xfce terminal!) ]

> host : Debian wheezy 7.6
>

> An idea of way to solve this issue ?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Denis

 Since this is pass 1 of binutils, I suppose that 'as' is just
/usr/bin/as, but perhaps something has got garbled.

 What does ls $(which as) say ?  I expect it to say /usr/bin/as but
perhaps something in debian's famed 'alternates' is causing it to
either never get there, or else to take an excessively long number
of symlinks.

ĸen