On Wed, November 5, 2014 06:53, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I am trying to help a student get his system to boot and have run into a
> problem I haven't seen before.    When booting from grub, the error
> comes up:
>
> "/sbin/init exists, but unable to execute: Error -8"
>
> I tried setting init=/bin/bash, but got the same error.  I am guessing
> that the -8 refers to ENOEXEC
>
> #define ENOEXEC          8      /* Exec format error */
>
> The root fs seems to be mounted.  I had him go back to the host and
> chroot.  bash runs fine there.
>
> If it works in chroot, but not at boot, then the only thing I can see
> that is different is the kernel.
>
> I've searched the tarballs of the kernel, binutils, and glibc:
>
> grep -r "exists.*execute" * but didn't get a close match.
>
> The system is running in vmware 10 and we used a suse live iso to mount
> /mnt/lfs and as a target for chroot.
>
> About the only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong
> with the kernel configuration.  The config is at
>
> http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/files/config-3.16.2
>
> I don't think it's a driver problem because the root fs *does* seem to
> get mounted.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>    -- Bruce
> --
>
> Do not top post on this list.
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

Hello Bruce,

Perhaps the kernel is missing the configure option for executing scripts:

config BINFMT_SCRIPT
         tristate "Kernel support for scripts starting with #!"
         default y
         help
           Say Y here if you want to execute interpreted scripts
           starting with #! followed by the path to an interpreter.

Sincerely,

William Harrington