I'll have to get back to the automount thing.

Right now I've built X-7.7, and I have to figure out how to do the
configure file(s).  It runs without one of course, but it presumes I
want the monitor's "optimum" screen resolution.  I don't!  I always have
modes of 1024x768 and 800x600 in the Screen Section.  I've tried "X -
configure", but that probes the onboard Intel G33 chipset graphics as
four video cards, then fails when that's not right.  So far I haven't
been able to hack the mess it leaves into something that works.

I'm trying to Google for more info, especially using xorg.conf.d, but
apparently most developers figure the automagic config is perfectly
fine.  "man xorg.conf" seems to be a few versions out of date.

I'm looking at 9 boxes in this room, a "dozen" more in my work-room.  I
want to set it up without being too precise about different monitors and
video cards/chipsets, but with screen resolutions I can actually use.
Seems like a combination of one or two sections in xorg.conf.d and
pulling the rest automatically ought to work, if'n I could find more
documentation.  ;-(  Suggestions welcomed.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm

http://www.fastmail.com - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service