On 03/04/2015 05:22 πμ, rail shafigulin wrote:

    If you hit for
    "configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot
    compile"
    on google, it finds many references to GMP/MPFR/MPC
    Make sure you understood the note in the book above the commands
    that extract those tarballs.

    --
    Thanos

Hey Thanos.

Don't get mad but I was not able to find your post online. I even
searched for  "configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files:
cannot compile" Thanos, but wasn't able to find it. (If you don't mind
giving me a link to it, I'd appreciate it). There are plenty of other
posts that look like they have the same issue as I am but the solutions
suggested take additional steps which are not mentioned in the book. I
don't want to do that, not just yet. As per following instructions in
the books here is the 'ls -lah' of  my gcc -4.9.2 directory.

No mad at all. I just found the references I mentioned on google
and thought that I might help. It's not clear to me which post of mine
you are refering to. If you mean the google search findings,
the most typical is the following:
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#Configuration_fails_with_.27.27configure:_error:_cannot_compute_suffix_of_object_files:_cannot_compile.27.27._What_is_the_problem.3F

I apologize in advance if my questions seem trivial or repetitive. I'm
trying to learn how to do this and I'm very appreciative of your help.

drwxr-xr-x  3 lfs  lfs  4.0K Oct 30 04:28 fixincludes
drwxr-xr-x 18 lfs  lfs   24K Apr  2 13:24 gcc
drwxr-xr-x 15 lfs  lfs  4.0K Mar 25  2014 gmp
drwxr-xr-x  6 lfs  lfs  4.0K Jan 15  2014 mpc
drwxr-xr-x  9 lfs  lfs  4.0K Mar 13  2013 mpfr

That shows that you uncompressed the tarballs in the right directory
and renamed them correctly.
Anyway, I think that the most wise thing to do, (if you haven't done
already), since you had the problem with the /bin/sh symlink
and you are in the begining of the installation, is to remove everything in /tools and redo Binutils-2.25 - Pass 1

--
Thanos