Hi,

In transitioning from the virtualbox world to actual hardware, I have hit a
snag and I am hoping y'all can help.

I have followed the 7.8-rc1 book all the way up to installing grub. But,
when I try to install grub, it generates an error:

root:/# grub-install /dev/sdb
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: error: disk `lvm/vg1-lfs--root' not found.

My specific situation is that I am running on:
Dell Optiplex 755 with 2 physical drives:
/dev/sda (windows 8) a SATA III
/dev/sdb (debian 8) an SSD

On the second drive, I have 4 partitions set up:
/dev/sdb1 /boot
/dev/sdb2 /
/dev/sdb3 Swap
/dev/sdb4 LVM

The LVM set up is as follows:

pvdisplay
  PV Name               /dev/sdb4
  VG Name               vg1

lvdisplay
  LV Path                /dev/vg1/lfs-root
  LV Name                lfs-root

  LV Path                /dev/vg1/lfs-swap
  LV Name                lfs-swap

ls /dev/mapper/
control  vg1-lfs--root  vg1-lfs--swap

In Jessie, /boot contained the grub boot stuff for jessie. In order to
allow LFS to manage the boot process, I moved the files into an _archive
folder.

I then copied all of the $LFS/boot files into /boot.

I entered the LFS chroot and ran:
grub-install /dev/sdb

That's when I got the error. I figure that I can recover the debian grub
instance as a fallback, but I would rather give LFS control.

So, as a recap... /boot is on /dev/sdb1, the LFS chroot is on
/dev/vg1/lfs-root and the LFS swap is on /dev/vg1/lfs-swap. I would like to
be able to boot the system using grub.

Any insights appreciated.

Thanks,

Will