I just found out about the gcc  and probably the g++ errors (though I could
find nothing to verify that idea):

Citing this:

   -

http://serverfault.com/questions/580489/configure-error-c-compiler-cannot-create-executables-while-build-ruby-from-sou

gcc -V is a way of selecting a specific gcc version when you have more than
one, that's a decoy here though: configure is iterating through a set of
options (--version -v -V etc.) to make sure it can log the version of the C
compiler, be it gcc or something else.

Citing this:

   -

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/slackware-configure-error-4175507097/#post5182892

gcc used to have a -V option for version reports. It now uses -v, and
provides the configuration options used when the compiler was built.

You package is a bit dated and doesn't reflect that fact.

BTW, the -qversion option was merged into the -v...

Citing this:

   -

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20678016/autoconf-complains-c-compiler-cannot-create-executables-on-linux-mint

On some versions of gcc, the -V option tells it to use a specified version
of the compiler -- but it requires an argument. It's documented here. The
option appears to have been removed some time between 4.5.4 and 4.6.4.

which references this:

   - https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.2/gcc/Target-Options.html
   -

--