On 17/11/2015 04:18 μμ, Joseph Hesse wrote:

Also, I had to stop work and shut down my host system.  When I restarted
it I had a gdm that displayed my name and the name "lfs". If I selected
"lfs" nothing happened,  I was back to the gdm prompt. The only way I
can be user "lfs" is to log in as myself and "su - lfs". Does this seem OK?

The lfs user was created for the LFS book's needs, and you only have to be lfs when installing packages by the book, that is on a terminal.
I don't see a reason to start a graphical session with gdm as user lfs.

--
Thanos