> >No, && is the logical AND. When it's between two commands, the second
> >is executed only if the first succeeds. I don't understand why you
> >used it since you don't know what it does.
>
> That's what I thought it does. And that's why I used it. I put it at
> the end of all commands so that if any of them failed I would know
> about it.

I concur with Pierre(?) that you should study the Advanced Bash
Scripting page, and having the O'Reilly "Learning the Bash Shell" book
within arm's reach, as I have ;) , is always a good idea.

Go play around with it in various ways until you really understand it.
It CAN be^H^H^H^H^H^H IS very tricky to use!  It can't be on the last
statement of a clause, for example.

> What I don't really understand is how this then causes variables to go
> out of scope.

Exactly.  Do "ps ax", you'll see it has its own PID.  It's running in a
subshell!  Subshells inherit, but never pass back but a "return code".
"Source" runs in the same shell, running a script or (non-built-in)
command runs in a subshell.

In all seriousness and good intentions, I do recommend you stop and take
the time to really study the bash shell.  It'll save you time and
trouble in the end!  It won't be a waste of your time!  Trust me.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm

http://www.fastmail.com - Same, same, but different...