> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 22:09:09 +0000
> From: Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com>
> To: lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
> Subject: [lfs-support] O/T - loading distros *after* lfs
>
> Sorry for asking an O/T question here, but -chat seems to be full of
> people who don't actually use LFS (judging from replies I've seen
> there in the past few months).
>
> I've got a new machine, for building and testing.  In the past, I
> have always used older LFS versions to bring up current ones, and
> copied a recent binary LFS from another machine for the first time.
> This time, I would like to be able to use distros (different from
> what other people are using to test) to build release candidates.
>
> Ideally, I want to be able to install/replace these in the future,
> telling them to only use their own partition, and then I can
> chainload them from grub.  Among other things, it has been suggested
> that the distro controlling /boot (LFS) needs to be installed first.
>
> But at the moment I'm using the spinning-rust drive as a test run,
> before I install a smaller SDD, and since I had no bootloader I
> could let the first distro install one.
>
> So, I put some GPT partitions on the drive, with 4 50 GiB ones
> reserved for distros, and then the first 15 GiB partition for LFS.
> Then I tried to install.
>
> First up was mint - this went to the partition I pointed it to, and
> installed grub on the disk.  I did not see any option for not
> installing the bootloader.  But I know that other people are testing
> with 'buntu-derived distros, so I'll probably let this distro go.
>
> Then I tried to install OpenSuSe Leap : that was from a magazine
> disc (Linux Format), not from the huge full DVD.  It started by
> proposing a new partitioning system, with loads of partitions, and I
> was unable to get rid of all of them.  When I tried to edit
> manually, it would not let me use '/' as the mountpoint, that was
> already taken.  Google found a few posts implying that OpenSuSe does
> not play nicely in a multi-distro install, but perhaps that is only
> for a single-drive.  Whatever, I could not persuade it to install
> where I wanted.
>
> I'm not averse to downloading the full official OpenSuSe DVD ISO, but
> I suspect it is likely to have the same problem and I begrudge
> burning useless DVDs.
>
> After that I tried Fedora 23 : there is an article on t'web from a
> while ago about chainloading an older version of Fedora - basically,
> stop at installing the bootloader.  Unfortunately, Fedora insisted
> on creatig a new partition (I did not spot that at the time - I had
> asked for 50 GiB and got the same) - that implies I cannot install
> it onto an existing partition.  Also, there was no question about
> installing a bootloader, it went ahead and did it.
>
> Finally : does anybody have any experience of installing Fedora,
> OpenSuSe, or any other current rpm-using distro *after* LFS, to an
> existing partition ?

> [...]

Don't let 'em (2ndary-os's) fk around with your main os - at least, at
(2ndary-os) install time - don't let them even see it: perhaps - if using
a single machine:
==
* pwr-down/whatever;

* disconn ssd;

* connect (bare/wipeable) hdd;

* boot 2ndary-os via usb-stick;

* install 2ndary-os to a single (or as few as possible) hdd partn(s);

* power down/whatever;

* connect ssd;

* boot from ssd;

* then dd/cpio/cp-iax/&c from relevant hdd partn(s) to relevant ssd
  single partn;

* then let main-os syslinux/grub/whatever control the 2ndary-os boot.
==
?

A second machine, &/or hot-swap/esata/external-dock (esp if bootable via),
can all be useful there.

akh