Here's the situation.
I've got two LFS systems, one on /dev/sda1 and the other on
/dev/sdb1. They each have their kernels in the /boot directories on
those drives. So I don't have a separate /boot partition. A little
bit of an oversight on my part.
I know I could back up things, erase partitions and start over
with a separate /boot, but that's a lot of bother.
So, what would be the proper grub configuration to fix it so that
both systems can be booted? Right now, I have this
# # #
/boot/grub/grub.cfg on /dev/sda1
set default=0
set timeout=-1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,1)
menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 4.7.2-newbean" {
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-4.7.2 root=/dev/sda1 ro
}
menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 4.2-l-bean" {
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-4.2-lfs-7.8 root=/dev/sdb1 ro
}
# # #
That doesn't appear to work, however; I can only boot  the 4.7.2 system.
Does
" vmlinuz-4.2-lfs-7.8 "
need to be in the /boot partition of /dev/sda1 for this to work
 properly, since I have grub installed there?
Thank you all for the help--and the patience.