On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 07:47:58PM -0400, jacob wrote:
> > The LFS grub is probably incorrectly built for UEFI.  But unless you
> > chainload, only one bootloader (i.e. Arch's grub, unless you
> > overwrite it) is likely to be used.  Hmm, I suppose that might not
> > be true for UEFI - but first you need to get both your LFS kernel
> > and the stanza in Arch's grub.cfg to work.
> >
> > Only after that should you think about installing grub from LFS.
> >

> I compiled grub2 explicitly as stated in
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs-uefi.txt
>
>          ./configure --prefix=/usr  \
>             --sbindir=/sbin        \
>             --sysconfdir=/etc      \
>             --disable-grub-emu-usb \
>             --disable-efiemu       \
>             --enable-grub-mkfont   \
>             --with-platform=efi    \
>             --target=x86_64        \
>             --program-prefix=""    \
>             --with-bootdir="/boot" \
>             --with-grubdir="grub" \
>             --disable-werror

Oh well, in that case I guess it is probably adequate - but I'm
fairly sure we did update grub after that hint was written, so
perhaps its options might have changed.  I haven't read the hint,
but I had assumed efiemu might be needed.

> > > root=UUID=d6788259-f948-4164-ae29-d1b996ffd6d9 rootfstype=ext4 ro
> > > }
> > >

> > Is the UUID correct for the LFS partition ?
>
> It is unless there's something I'm overlooking. /dev/sdc2 is the root for
> which I installed LFS on according to arch.

When I googled last night, root=/dev/sdXn seemed to work well - but
if you are removing a disk then I guess UUID is the way to go.

> The only behavior difference is when booted into the LFS grub, (hd2,gpt2)
> (/dev/sdc2) on arch becomes (hd0,gpt2) (effectively /dev/sda2) on LFS
> because the ordering given from booting off a separate drive.
> I've also made sure this is the correct root by ls'ing in the grub command
> line on the hard drives to know what drive contains what files, while using
> UUID's to avoid this in fstab and grub2.
>
> $ lsblk
> sdc      8:32   0 931.5G  0 disk
> ├─sdc2   8:34   0 931.3G  0 part /mnt/lfs
> └─sdc1   8:33   0   260M  0 part /mnt/lfs/boot/efi
>
> $ ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 29 14:42 04ED-C3D3 -> ../../sdc1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 29 14:42
> d6788259-f948-4164-ae29-d1b996ffd6d9 -> ../../sdc2
>
> > > Either way when booting from both entry's regardless of which grub
> > > it fails
> > > to boot. linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.7.2-lfs-7.10-systemd
> > > root=UUID=d6788259-f948-4164-ae29-d1b996ffd6d9 rootfstype=ext4 ro is
> > > the
> > > exact same on the LFS grub entry even, with my latest slight
> > > modifications
> > > for testing and revisioning.
> >
> > Does the Arch grub give you a graphical screen ?  If so, try adding
> > 'nomodeset' to the grub command line.
>
> I tried nomodset actually as a suggestion from a friend of mine in grub, but
> only attempted in the LFS grub (if there's potentially a difference).
> Afterwards I tried nomodset as well as nouveau.modset=0 (again, only in LFS
> grub). I don't know if this matters or not, but I'm running a GTX 1080,
> Pascal based GPU.
> I know the firmware binaries for this architecture aren't released in
> nouveau from nvidia as of yet, so I'm a bit curious.

I have no experience with nouveau, but both options have been
mentioned on google.  And I still think you should try to get the
Arch version of grub working first.  It seems to me that it already
works for your Arch system, so it has a good chance of working for
the new LFS system, whereas the LFS grub might have other unknown
extra issues.

So, I suggest you try those options in Arch's grub.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods