On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 04:19:13PM +0700, Sofyan Sugianto wrote:
> Hello, today im trying to build LFS, but got error on chapter 6.18 LFS 7.10
> is this error harmless for continue to the next step? please help me
> what should i do if this harmful to continue
>

> root:/sources/bzip2-1.0.6# make -f Makefile-libbz2_so
> gcc -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl,libbz2.so.1.0 -o libbz2.so.1.0.6
> blocksort.o huffman.o crctable.o randtable.o compress.o decompress.o
> bzlib.o
> /usr/bin/ld: blocksort.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against
> `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC

This is definitely a harmful error.

These messages imply that you have run a plain 'make' before this.
In the whole book you need to remove the extracted sources after the
install - unless it says otherwise (in a few places in chapter 6 I
think we say that tests can only be run later).

So, did you remove the bzip2 directory after section 5.17 ?

Or, did you accidentally run 'make', realise your mistake, and then
try to run the correect command ?  If so, 'make clean' will probably
fix it.

That relocation error message in bzip2 is uncommon (google found one
at linuxquestions, without any clear explanation).

> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
> make: *** [Makefile-libbz2_so:38: all] Error 1

And in general, whenever a command ends with an Error there *is* a
problem - except for some runs of 'make check'.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods